Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Stop and smell the orange blossoms

orange blossom tree courtesy of Mouse
The impetus for this project was, indeed, a cluster of budding orange blossoms.
Several weeks ago I was at an art opening at Bergamont Station with an artist friend who was visiting from out of town. As we walked from one art gallery to the next, my friend exclaimed, "Oh my goodness, can you smell the orange blossoms? The scent is AMAZING." (or some such comment). I in fact, had not even noticed the large pots of orange trees prominently lining the thoroughfare; I was so preoccupied with getting from one place to the next - as we so often do in life - that I almost missed out on one of life's simple pleasures. A similar sensory "miss" had occurred earlier that day when the same friend, while in route to SMMoA, remarked on the beauty of a canopy of camphor trees lining a street (near my home of 2+ years) that I frequently traverse.
Camphor Tree canopy
It was indeed lovely and I had never noticed it before.

I started thinking about all of the wonderful things I have missed out on as a result of moving too fast (literally and figuratively), driving too much, or simply not taking  time to notice.  What's happened to me? I thought.  I'm a naturally curious and inquisitive person but somewhere along the way, I've started taking my life for granted.

I was determined to change my behavior and subsequent thought process  (or lack thereof) STAT.
Thus, I've started a blog/self-improvement project - "Walk This Way" - dedicated to observations and discoveries made during future frequent explorations in my back yard (i.e. home city/Los Angeles).  I will chronicle observations made and experiences had while taking weekly (sometimes twice or thrice weekly) walks through different neighborhoods in  LA.

My primary purpose here is to rediscover my erstwhile love of life and self - discovery, because exploration and discovery truly make me feel happy and alive.  ...However, if this somehow turns into a Jonathan Gold-style guide to Los Angeles (subbing spaces and places for food) for others to enjoy, I will have no problem with that.

Please feel free to make comments and suggestions and/or tell me about your own walk.

Special thanks to my friend, Lisa Lala, for helping me see what I was missing. It's time to start celebrating life's simple pleasures.

1 comment:

  1. Great Idea! While I stay health conscious I can discover the treasures of the LA neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete